Skip to Main Content
London Metropolitan University

Academic Staff Guides

Staff guides on utilising Library services, support, and resources

Reading Lists Annual Rollover for 2024/25

Academic staff are advised that the University's Reading Lists system will be rolled over in preparation for the 2024/25 academic year on Monday 20 May. Staff are requested to avoid making changes to reading lists on this date if possible. 

This process will create a fresh copy of each current module reading list for use during the upcoming academic year. Each 2024/25 reading lists will not be visible to students or checked by the Library team until it is published on the system by academic staff. 

The existing 2023/24 reading lists will also remain accessible until September 2024. Please take care to edit the correct version of your module list during this period.

If you have any questions about this process please do not hesitate to contact your Academic Liaison Librarian via alls@londonmet.ac.uk.

Have your say - Help us improve the reading list system

Library Services are committed to improving engagement and the user experience with our reading list system, Talis. Whether you’re a list owner, support other staff in creating their lists, or a casual user of the platform, your insights are invaluable. By understanding what you like, dislike, and find confusing about the current system, we can enhance it to better serve you and your students.

One area we’re keen to better understand any issues with this is the annual rollover process, which happens every summer when the current list is retired, copied and a new version awaits publication for the next academic year. Unfortunately, only 60% of these lists are typically published by the start of term. This means the other 40% of module lists are unavailable to students who are looking for them. Consequently, this impacts resource availability, prevents the Library from acquiring new resources for those modules, and hinders our ability to ensure equality and consistency of access to resources.

Leaving an anonymous comment on our Padlet board on how you currently use Talis, and your honest thoughts on it, would really help us to introduce changes that make the reading list system work better for you and your students. Your feedback will guide improvements and enhance the reading list system for everyone. Thank you for your participation!

Above are a selection of some of the comments on the padlet board so far. Why not add your own!

 

Getting started

The reading lists system, Talis, is a list of core reading (required, or mandatory reading), or additional reading for your module, or programme. Talis is your way of ordering books, e-books, DVDs and other resources for your students for teaching purposes.

Although they are called 'reading lists', you list may contain a variety of sources including videos, web links, images, as well as links to books, ebooks and journal articles.

Reading lists will be available online, accessed through WebLearn, or directly on https://londonmet.rl.talis.com/index.html?lang=en

You can access the materials on your reading lists from the Library. 

They're a key way of encouraging engagement with resources as they let students plan their study with access to required module reading and can link to electronic resources and live library catalogue records.

Take a look at our short videos which give you an overview of the key processes involved in creating and managing your reading lists.

Link to Talis

Image of a list on Talis

 

Reading lists are available online, accessed through WebLearn, or directly using the link above.

Support and guidance

For further guidance on making the best use of online reading lists and Library resources, contact your Academic Liaison Librarian.

Group of Academic Librarians

Why update your lists

Your reading list determines what we order and how many copies we buy for your students.

Each term, we'll email you to remind you to update your reading lists. You need to:

  1. Check: go to Talis and check the resources on your currently published list
  2. Edit: add new resources and remove out-of-date ones. Set the importance: is it Core, or Additional reading?
  3. Publish: make your list live, so that we know what items we need to order.

We’ll process every list you publish. The earlier you publish your list, the better the chance we have of delivering your resources for the beginning of term and we'll tell you if there's anything we're unable to buy. 

During our peak ordering period: we’ll review lists in the order they arrive but delivery time may be longer.